Monday, September 22, 2008

The Marathon - Part 2

Well. I did it.

I. ran. a. MARATHON.

And now, I don't want to ever do that again.


No, I am REALLY glad that I did this at least once. It feels good to have accomplished it. No, it feels GREAT to have accomplished it! It's hard to understand the feeling until you've actually done it (huh Janille). I would recommend trying it, if you are able. I can say that now, because it's over. If you had asked me during it, I would have told you to stay far far away from any marathons...and to take me with you. (But you would have had to carry me because, well, you know...)

I want to say Thanks Thanks Thanks to so many people.

Mom, Dad, Elise, Brevan, Eli, Dan, Alyssa, Halley, Caden, Nick, Nat, Alivia, and yes baby McKenzie too. Mom & Dad Parker, Melody, Doug, & Beza. Thanks for being there! I really only kept going because I knew that you guys were waiting along the way. And the signs were cool too.

Thanks also to the fam & friends who couldn't make it. For the phone calls, the flowers, the cards, the text messages, the blog comments.

Thanks to the friends who were there (Rikki & Cami) cheering & making fun. And for Cami's hilarious poster (pics to come later!). And to Janille's fam for cheering me on. That was nice too!

And to the friends who weren't there but were cheering in their hearts (um, hopefully lots of people).

Oh, and I can't leave out the other runners. Janille, Shelsie & her brother, Holly, Kim, Monica.

And thanks to the snooty girl who said "excuuuuse me!" to Shelsie when we were all cramming through the starting line and there was no way anyone could get by without touching someone...Shelsie & I are still laughing about her snooty tone and her ridiculousness, and it started the race with some humor. At least, for us. Some people should probably lighten up a little.

Thanks to the guy who sang the American Pie song out loud as he was running by, who I later learned sang out loud the whole race. Funny.

Thanks to the guy ahead of me near mile 4 who had the "in memory of Jean" shirt on. And the runner pushing the other guy in the wheelchair, both of which smiled and said Hi to me. Inspiring. And choked me up a little.

Oh, and the stations. I lived for the stations. Thanks to those sweet little volunteers handing me the water, gatorade, and banana chunks. And picking up all our cups & peels behind us. You guys are great.

And, really, thanks for the port-a-potty at mile 24. Really. You saved my life.

But most of all, a BIG PHAT THANKS to my husband. I won't even be able to name all of the things he did for me. But here are a few. During 5 months of training - ran my short ones with me (when I would let him) and got up early, dropped me off & brought me water, crackers, & gatorade for my long runs. Fixed me meals. Handled my breakdowns & lack of gratitude. Bought me shoes & running gear. Didn't complain about me buying more running gear. Called FedEx when my ipod didn't arrive when it was supposed to and took care of business. Arranged everything for the day before & the day of the marathon, including a bbq, and my family staying with us, and the pre-race meal the night before. Carried a bag of stuff for me during the marathon and rushed to different spots along the course to give it to me, along with my family. Ran with me during parts of the marathon. And basically just took care of my every need & want. Yup, he's a good one. Thanks a million, Miguel.

Well, I could go on and on. Oh wait...looks like I already did.

If I missed anyone, please just thank yourself for me, okay. Thanks.

P.S. COMING SOON.......MARATHON PICS!

4 comments:

Erin Jeanne said...

CONGRATULATIONS ANNIE!!!!!! That is awesome!!! You are one tough cookie!! We can't wait to see the pics! Matt is training to tun the Spud Man, hopefully next summer! He was inspired by your doing the Marathon. I am going to be inspired by how Mike was there for you! We miss you guys!

This Idaho Girl said...

Congratulations to you! I just realized that my sister and I lined up next to you at the TOU Half. We (my sister and I) thought that was torture and pretty much walked the last 3 miles but managed to finish in 2 hours. I thought that was okay until I saw the winning marathoner times. So I only know you via blog and via Mike (fellow PHSers). You should visit our running blog-- we'd love a new contributer if you're interested leave your email. Oh, and it's coolchicksrun.blogspot.com. Hope your body recovers from the brutal 26.2.

Marlyce said...

Woo hoo! Yay for Annie! You are crazier than I ever could have imagined. I will definitely take your advice and stay as far away from marathons as I can get. But I am super proud of you! Now, sit down and relax for awhile.

Palmers said...

Annie, Annie. Wahoo!!! Congratulations! You ran a marathon!!! You're officially "awesome". :) I haven't checked the blog in a while so way to go. I seriously almost got choked up reading your thankamony. and even though you were joking a little, the amazing support and thrill you feel from the other runners, the crowd, and family is unique only to running a marathon.