Saturday, November 14, 2009

National Adoption Month

November is National Adoption Month. 

I've been a fan of adoption for quite some time now.  In fact, long before I ever started blogging. 

Over the last 3 years, though, I've discovered that there are A LOT of things about adoption that I didn't know.  Also, that there are many misconceptions about adoption.  These misconceptions cause people to talk negatively about it, dismiss it as an option, and to (sometimes unknowingly) hurt those who choose to be a part of it. 

And that is SAD.  So very sad.

Let's NOT be these people.

And, while we are not being these people, let's learn about Positive Adoption Language.

Go.

*Positive Adoption Language
The words we use when talking about adoption can send unintended messages. When writing about or discussing adoption, please consider using language from the Preferred Terms column.

Negative Terms                                Preferred Terms

Gave up her child for adoption         Placed her child for adoption
Real parent; natural parent              Birth parent, biological parent
Adoptive parent                               Parent
His adopted child                             His child
Illegitimate                                      Born to unmarried parents
Adoptee                                           Child who was adopted
To keep                                           To parent
Adoptable child; available child        Waiting child
Foreign adoption                              International adoption
Track down parents                          Search
Unwanted child                                 Child placed for adoption
Is adopted                                        Was adopted 

*Taken from itsaboutlove.org

4 comments:

Joel and Sara said...

I teach classes on adoption and I do a whole section on positive adoption language. Awww....I am going to miss being an adoption social worker. Bummer.

Mike said...

Sara, you rock. I miss you guys, we really want to come see you. And Adoption is awesome!

Remodelaholic said...

What is the deal with people saying things like that?
When Justin and I were in our 6th-ish year of trying for kids, with no luck but a lot of pain and disapointment. WE finally greived our way through our lose and began to fill out our adoption applications which was hard enough as it is,... So one night at enrichment, I was talking to a friend who had a child out of wedlock at 17ish (now in her 40's)? She knew we were looking into adoption and she told me point blank that I could never love her child as much as she could, and her mother who was with her said the same. I was shocked.

I would have liked to said, Actually your right, yeah, after wanting and trying for this child for years and years I could love your child even more. But that would have been rude too.

Janille said...

Annie, what a great post! Thank you!