Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Random Rant.

So, the other day on one of the rare occasions that I actually made it to the gym in the morning to workout, I had this experience.

Mike and I were the first ones there so we got our choice of machines (which is also a rarity). I chose one of the 15 or so treadmills that were lined up along the outer edge. Mike chose an elliptical, but that's not really important to the story. So there I am starting my workout, appreciating the rare awesomeness of having my space. Loving that I don't have to blast my earphones in order to hear the music over everyone else's whirring machines. Loving that I don't have to suck in or, with sweat dripping down my face, smile awkwardly at anyone who happens to make eye contact. Loving the fact that I'm loving anything while working out, because working out is not that great.

Yes, so there I am, feeling the love, when all of a sudden this girl steps onto the treadmill next to me!

No, not onto one of the 13 or 14 other EMPTY treadmills all around me. She picks the one RIGHT. NEXT. TO. ME.

Are you kidding me?!!!

People! There are rules. There is a little something called WORKOUT ETIQUETTE.

Never pick a machine right next to someone if there are others available! Never.

Granted, there might be exceptions when it is someone you know really, really well. Like your roommate. Or your mom. Or your siamese twin. But this was a complete stranger!

Is anyone with me on this? I mean, I couldn't even finish my workout.

Okay. Rant finished.

Now tell me the etiquette-breaking, faux pas-committing, pet-peeving stories you've witnessed. Go on. Rant a little.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,
I hope you don't think this is weird, but my name is Rhianna and I think I was the one next to you at the gym. I'm really really sorry. I stumbled across your blog the other day when I did a google search about growing plants in Cache Valley. (Your "Hole in my Bucket" post popped up.) I just thought you seemed so nice and then it was so funny to see you at the same gym as me a few days later! I was hoping if I hopped on one of the treadmills close to you, I would be able to start up a conversation.(You had earphones in though, and I never got a free second.) I know, it is totally weird and I promise I'm not a stalker or anything. I just thought it was so funny that I had just seen your blog and there you were at my gym!

Anyway, I know it is totally weird of me. Just letting you know so that you understand my rudeness a little... :)

-Rhianna
P.S. I love your blog. You are so funny and have great style!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

I am DYING laughing right now.

Annie said...

"Rhianna",
You seem like a very nice person, so I'm sure you won't mind me asking what gym we were supposedly at? And, do you go by any other names such as Marlyce or Jennifer? Just wondering. :)

Rikki said...

Rhianna? Is this a joke? I think you are really someone playing a joke on poor Annie!

If you really are for real I'm sorry!

Katelyn said...

Annie, you seriously crack me up! I completely agree with you though.

Marlyce said...

Just for the record, I don't go by Rhianna. If the story wasn't so funny I would be offended.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Annie. I knew you would think I was weird. I really will leave you alone now. And I promise I won't stalk you at the gym anymore! :)

You seem like a really cool person though. I loved the "Faces of Mike" post. He seems so funny. My husband does funny faces like that too.

Anyway, sorry, I am rambling. I'm sorry to totally weird you out over this. I'll leave you alone, I promise!

Annie said...

Sorry, Marlyce.

Marlyce said...

I should actually be flattered that you would think I would go to such great lengths to pull a little joke on you, and a darn funny one at that. I think that this is my new favorite story. Right up there with the time so girl got on the treadmill between LeeAnn and I and then totally tripped and flew off the treadmill and ripping her pants off. That will teach her some treadmill etiquette.

Annie said...

Okay, that's way funnier.

Emilee said...

Wow, Rhianna really likes Annie. This is why I keep my blog private;) That is why I don't go to the gym either, I don't like etiquette. But you did give me a good laugh as did Marlyce!

Janille said...

I'm a little freaked out about the whole thing. I think I will keep my blog private along with Emilee. Good luck with your new friend Annie!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I want to have a blog. But I do appreciate you welcoming me to stumble on a treadmill next to you, breaking etiquette and all... Love, Mom

Jennie said...

hi there! you may not remember me, but we used to be in the same married student ward... i found your blog through julie m.

it is so hilarious! thanks for sharing! i love it!

Ben and Darci said...

Annie, you should be a comedic writer. You remind me of Mary Roach. She writes a piece in every Reader's Digest, usually about funny everyday things that happen to her and her husband. As for the treadmill situation...I had the same thing happen to me in a movie theater. It was also a woman. I was by myself, and was so wierded out I had to pick up my drink and popcorn and move several aisles back!

Anonymous said...

Annie, I saw your mom this weekend at church! I love her so much! She said, "I feel like I'm caught up with you because of Annie's blog." That is right, I feel the same way. I hope you had a good weekend!

LOVE YA!
Janille

Annie said...

Jennie, I totally remember you! Thanks for the compliment. It's so cool to find old acquaintences through these blogs. :)